If you are actively trying to conceive you probably know there is generally a two week waiting period from ovulation before you are supposed to start testing for pregnancy. Pfft…who wants to wait that long? When I was trying to conceive I would start taking pregnancy tests as soon as could. I knew that a fertilized egg could implant around 7-9 days past ovulation so I would start testing around that time frame. The earliest I have seen a positive pregnancy test was with my youngest son. I got a big fat positive at 9 dpo. I was just so eager to see a BFP!
Testing early and wanting to be pregnant so bad allowed me to observe various early pregnancy signs. Be forewarned some of the following may be TMI for the faint hearted so you may want to check out now.
- Lower back pain. With most of my pregnancies (I’ve had 4) I’ve noticed lower back pain early on. Usually right above my buttocks.
- Headaches. Probably from the new hormones flowing around my body!?
- Erect nipples. I thought it was strange that my nipples were always hard all of a sudden considering they are not usually like that. Took a test, and yep I was expecting my first son.
- Tender breasts. I was on progesterone which can also cause this as well but ouch!
- Nose bleeds. Ah, the fun of increased blood flow.
- Dizziness/light-headed. I would randomly get light headed and dizzy. You know that whoa feeling when you stand up too fast? I guess blood was needed elsewhere.
- Lactating feeling. This is a strange symptom to describe but if this isn’t your first pregnancy you know what this feeling feels like. All I can say is that I started feeling a lactating letdown feeling and I wasn’t breastfeeding at the time. I thought it was strange but then I thought, hey, maybe it’s a pregnancy sign. Sure enough, I got a BFP that day!
- Darker areolas. Boy, did the area around my nipples get darker (and bigger later on). Babies need their target practice!
- Taste changes. My husband and I were eating out at a restaurant that I normally love. This time, however, the rolls tasted like soap. Yes, soap! Then later that week mint chocolate chip ice cream tasted like soap too. My husband thought I was so weird! Found out I was pregnant a few days later.
- Increased temper. Things that never bothered me before would just drive me crazy. One time I was babysitting a couple kids while watching my own son. All of a sudden, I just couldn’t handle them just doing regular kid things. My temper scale got real short and touchy. I found out I was pregnant sometime that week.
When in doubt take a pregnancy test and consult your doctor.
What early pregnancy signs did you notice?