The choice of material for the exterior of your home is entirely a personal decision, but who said roofing structures must be limited to gray, boring designs? Considering your roof practically crowns your house and might be the first thing noticeable from afar, you certainly don't want to settle for less than ideal.
But let's be honest, you could be overwhelmed by the number of options on the market, which only begs the question, which roofing material should you settle for in 2020?
In this post, we highlight the two best options, asphalt and wood shingles, explaining why the former is quickly gaining popularity in the modern roofing industry. Let's get straight to the advantages of Asphalt roofing over wood shingles.
Asphalt Roofs and Wood Shingle Roofs
1. Low Cost
Is there anything more satisfying than getting a quality roofing structure at half the price of high-end roofing materials? Asphalt roofs are the most popular roofing option because of their fantastic qualities and reasonable prices.
Wood shingles cost much more than asphalt and can be anything from $350 to $450 per 100 square feet.
Asphalt, on the other hand, is available from as low as $180 per 100 square feet, with the price going higher for different shapes.
Even the luxury asphalt shingles cost less than wood shingles, with prices beginning from $300. This makes asphalt one of the best alternatives to wood shingles if you are on a budget.
Well, wood shingles are wood, as their name suggests. Asphalt shingles, on the other hand, offer a wide range of styles and colors to choose from.
Asphalt offers different shapes that exhibit different qualities. The two common varieties are the strip shingle and the dimensional laminated shingle.
The luxury options fall under the dimensional laminated shingles and offer more thickness and a wide range of options in color, shape, and design.
Asphalt, therefore, provides better aesthetic options and flexibility to ensure you find a style that works for your dream house and taste.
3. Ease of Installation
Compared to wood shingles, asphalt roofs are easier to install. They are light and easy to cut, which means no special equipment is required during the installation process.
Typically, installing asphalt roofing should take no more than two days. This will save you time and money as you focus on the other details of your roofing project.
In contrast, wood shingle installation may be a more complicated process that requires more specialization. This translates to higher costs and longer installation time.Which is better — a wood roof or an asphalt roof? Read this article to find out the answer!Click To Tweet
4. Improved Safety
During a fire outbreak, the roof is one of the most vulnerable parts of the house.
For this reason, having a fire-resistant roof like asphalt may save you from the losses caused by such catastrophic events. This can be attributed to the inert components of asphalt roofs.
Other Outstanding Qualities
- Solar properties – Reflecting shingles are available to help reduce air-conditioning costs, especially in high-temperatures.
- Wind resistance – Asphalt shingles with proper fasteners can withstand strong winds effectively. Fastening the roofing to a durable underlayment may help, just in case the shingles are damaged.
- Algae resistance – Algae does not damage shingles but may taint the aesthetic look of the roof. To prevent this use treatment methods that prevent discoloration due to algae growth. Several manufacturers offer a warranty on their asphalt roofs against algae growth for up to 10 years.
- Premium look for a lower price – Premium shingles can be made to mimic other roofing materials. Premium designer asphalt shingles can replicate luxurious roofing options like wood and slate while maintaining the qualities of asphalt.
- Impact resistance – For houses in areas prone to hail, class 4 impact rating asphalt shingles provide the perfect solution. It offers protection against cracks and structural damages resulting from hailstorms.
If you are looking for quality roofing that looks great and is durable, asphalt roofs are the perfect option. With the extra advantage of being pocket-friendly, it is clear that asphalt roofing has more benefits than wood shingles.
To search for a premier roofing company perform a quick google search online. Type “roofing + the city you are in” and a good number of results should pop up. Good luck!
It’s fascinating how you could transform the appearance of your home without breaking your budget by investing in asphalt roofing shingles. My brother has always liked the idea of traditional yet modern homes, and this information checks out! Perhaps finding a roofer that has a plethora of roofing options is a good idea.
Home Jobs By Mom
Yes, finding a good roofer is essential when adding new asphalt shingles to your home