Sweet Potato Casserole with Bourbon and Pecans
Sweet potatoes are one of my grandfather's favorite vegetables. He particularly likes this sweet tasting veggie in empanadas and has been begging me to make them. Don't worry, it's on my to-do list. This Bourbon Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole is the perfect filling for those stuffed pastries but is just as good as a sit alone casserole too.
I know you are super busy getting your kitchen holiday ready. You are cleaning it from top to bottom on top of meal planning. Luckily, you need to look no further for the perfect side dish. This Bourbon Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole was made for the holidays. It's sweet but not too sweet and it compliments holiday favorites like honey baked ham and roasted turkey perfectly.
For my Bourbon Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole, I mashed the sweet potatoes using a TedGem Stainless Steel Potato Masher. It is made of a rust-resistant food grade stainless steel and has a heat resistant handle. I found the handle comfortable and it's mashing abilities fantastic. I was able to mash these sweet potatoes in very little time with very little pressure.
Bourbon Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups pecans chopped
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter cut into 14-18 pieces
- 1 tsp salt
For the Sweet Potatoes
- 6 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place sweet potatoes on a lined baking sheet and bake for 1 hour. Let cool until they can be handled.
- While sweet potatoes are cooling, whisk together the salt, flour, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add in butter. Blend with hands until combined well and broken into small pieces. Add in pecans and mix by hand until combined. Set aside.
- Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, oven medium heat add in bourbon, butter, zest, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir occasionally, until butter is melted and the mixture is bubbly. Set aside.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half and scrape out flesh with a spoon into a large bowl. Discard skins. Mash with a potato masher. Add in bourbon mixture and milk. Stir until combined well. Transfer to greased baking dish and sprinkle with streusel topping. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes and serve. Enjoy!