Note: This article contains affiliate links (hyperlinks, widgets, or through images), which means I receive compensation if you purchase a product through them. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and/or believe will add value to my readers. Visit my disclosure page for more information.
So you are going to your friends baby shower and you don’t know what to bring. Well, I have the answer for you! How about creating and designing a diaper cake. Not just any old three-tier diaper cake but a Tractor diaper cake craft.
You might be thinking that it’s too difficult but it won’t be once you are done with this tutorial and videos.
Creating a Tractor Diaper Cake
First thing is first, you need to find out what kind of theme your friend’s baby shower will have. Find out if it’s a monkey theme, pink and brown theme, Mickey Mouse, ect. Whatever it is, find out asap!
Once you know what the theme is you are going to need some supplies. You can get everything below at your local dollar store and BABIES R US store:
Tractor Diaper Cake Supplies
- 1 plush toy; make sure it’s theme specific. If they are having an elephant baby shower then get a small baby elephant plush doll.
- 1 paper towel tube
- 2 cotton balls
- 1 black sharpie marker
- 1 pacifier
- 3 rubber bands
- 1 glue gun or strong double sided tape
- 2 big pins
- 1 1/2 inch satin ribbon spool; if possible try to make it theme specific.
- 1 dishwasher basket; you can find this at BABIES R US or other baby specific stores.
- 1 receiving blanket; try to make it theme related. If they are throwing a ladybug shower then get a lady bug print receiving blanket.
- 75 diapers for newborns.
Okay, now that you got all the supplies it’s time to get to work on the wheels. Some people are put-off by making diaper wheels because it looks so complex but it’s really easy if you use some everyday kitchen items.
You are going to need one large saute pan to make two big wheels; each consisting of 30 diapers and one medium saute pan to create one medium-sized diaper wheel consisting of 15 diapers.
The technique here is pretty simple. Just line up the diapers into the saute pan and continue to do so until they come full circle then you snap on a rubber band. Take it our of the saute pan for decorating. Here are two videos showing you how it’s done:
How to Make a Medium Wheel
How to Make a Big Wheel
After you got your wheels done it’s time to apply your satin ribbons. You could use a glue gun or double sided tape. I would stick (no pun intended) with the glue gun because once you apply it you don’t ever have to worry about it becoming undone.
How to Decorate Your Wheel with a Glue Gun
Now that you got the tough parts done. It’s all easy sailing from here on out:
- Wrap your basket with the receiving blanket.
- Attach it together with your big pin.
- Attach the two big wheels with the paper towel tube.
- Rest one end of the tractor chassis on the tube (between the big wheels).
- Rest the other end of the tractor chassis on the Mid-sized wheel.
- Place the pen behind the chassis so it looks like an exhaust.
- Place the theme related plush doll on top of the chassis, towards the mid-sized wheel.
- Place the pacifier in front of the plush doll as if it were a steering wheel.
Here is How To Make A John Deere Tractor Diaper Cake
That’s it, you are all done! You got a beautiful tractor diaper cake for your friends baby shower. If you liked this tutorial please share it and tweet it or visit us anytime.
Krystle Cook – the creator of Home Jobs by MOM – put her psychology degree on a shelf and dived into a pile of diapers and dishes instead. She is a wife and mother to two rambunctious boys, sweating it out in her Texas hometown. She loves cooking, DIY home projects, and family fun activities.