Finding a reliable, professional family dentist can be a challenge. Not only do you have to consider budget and expertise but also the way they establish rapport with you and your children. It’s very common for kids to have dentist phobias which just make it even more imperative that you find a good dentist. To help you out here is a checklist that will help make the dentist selection process easier.
Think about the factors that are most important to you
- Range of services?
- Years of experience?
Once you have determined the factors you want to consider, you can now start looking for a dentist in your local area.
You can find a pediatric dentist through
- Recommendations from family and friends
- Referrals from your pediatrician
- Search results from the internet. You can do a local search and find one that’s within your area. For example, if you’re looking for a dentist, simply type the word “dentist” + your location in the search bar. You may also do a state-wide search which will show you a list of the best dentists in your state. A reliable dentist should pop up.
Your pediatric dentist should be able to perform the following
- Oral exams and risk assessment for cavities in infants
- Provide advice on how to deal with habits that affect dental health such as thumb sucking, teeth grinding and using the pacifier
- Provide preventative dental care like cleaning, sealant, and fluoride treatment
- Assess teeth to see it’s developing normally
- Check to see if there is a need for teeth straitening or correcting an improper bite
- Perform procedures that prevent gum diseases
- Remedy dental and oral conditions like short frenulum and ulcers
- Treat knocked out, fractured, displaced teeth immediately
You should also ask the following additional questions when evaluating a dentist
- Is he gentle to his patients regardless of age?
- Is his office kid-friendly?
- Does the atmosphere give a friendly and positive vibe?
- Are the instruments that he uses in his operations appropriate for a child’s mouth?
- Will I be able to easily set up appointments with this dentist?
- Is he committed to the latest technologies and updated care?
- Does he show passion and care in his profession as a dentist?
- Does he get good reviews? What do his fellow dentists have to say about him?
- Does he only take kids or is it only teenagers?
- How does he react to a child that is scared or is crying?
- Are the office staff friendly and approachable?
- Do they explain fully what your child can expect during the appointment?
Dental care is done every day. Just think about it. You brush your teeth two to three times a day and floss once a day.
You eat throughout the day which can highly affect your dental health depending on what you eat. Consuming food and drinks that stain your teeth as well as other habits such as smoking can affect your dental health.
It’s important that you are knowledgeable about these things and the best person to provide that education to you is your dentist.
In looking for a pediatric dentist, you want someone who can
- Educate you and your children about how diet and drinks affect teeth
- Educate you on how to take care of infant baby teeth
- Teach you and your kids about the proper way to brush and floss
- Educate you on how to handle teeth that’s knocked out or fractured
- Educate you on what to expect when your child’s permanent teeth come in
I hope this list helps you in your search for the perfect pediatric dentist!
How did you find your dentist?