I don't know about you but I hate cleaning the toilet. I live in a house of boys so you can imagine why. It's probably why most of the time cleaning the toilet is a chore for them.
Serves them right 😉
Obviously, they aren't completely thrilled with this arrangement. While there's no way of getting out of being hands-on when it comes to the outside of the toilet — the inside is a different story.
To stop their complaining (at least a little bit), I decided to come up with some fun cleaning hacks for the toilet this Christmas. It's the holidays after all and the less complaining the better!
SO this Christmas break the best cleaning hacks we will be using are my new DIY Christmas Toilet Bombs. They smell amazing and look like little Christmas trees (fitting, right?).
These toilet bombs get their cleaning power and scent from essential oils made by PURE by Rachelle Parker.
A Little About PURE Parker
PURE Parker specializes in natural and healthy gifts—most of which are pre-packaged, ready to give. From gift baskets to gift box sets, you're sure to find something you'll love.
I especially love their essential oils that's why I decided to create a fun DIY craft with them! Essential oils are key when it comes to a lot of cleaning hacks.
I received the 8 Top Essential Oil Starter Set. Each bottle contains 10ml of 100% premium therapeutic grade pure essential oil. They smell nice and STRONG.
I recommend storing them in a dark, cool, and dry environment to keep them at their best quality. Essential oils are not fans of light!
I like to keep mine the handy gift box they came in 😉
DIY Christmas Toilet Bombs
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1/2 citric acid
- spray bottle with a mist setting
- 1/2 cornstarch
- 30 drops clove essential oil
- 30 drops cinnamon essential oil
- silicone mold
- 1 tbsp water
- 2-5 drops of food coloring (optional)
- Place all dry ingredients in a bowl; whisk to combine.
- Place all wet ingredients in the spray bottle; shake to combine.
- Mist the dry ingredients 2-3 times and stir until all moisture is absorbed.
- Again, mist the dry ingredients 2-3 times and stir. This time, squeeze a handful of the mixture in your hand to see if a clump forms.
- Repeat step 4 until a clump forms. You'll know when it's ready when a clump forms when you squeeze it yet the surrounding mixture still looks like powder. Do not overspray, otherwise, they will start expanding out of the mold.
- When it's the right consistency, packed into a mold and let dry for 2-3 days. Or, if you are in a rush, bake on warm for 2-4 hours.
- Store in an airtight jar and enjoy cleaning less!
To Use These Amazing DIY Christmas Toilet Bombs
Throw one in the toilet bowl and let fizz. I like to leave it there until someone has to go to the bathroom. The longer the better I say 😉
FYI Just make sure to keep the toilet seat down if you have pets. Essential oils can be toxic to them!
Cleaning Hacks with Essential Oils
Clove essential oil is considered antiseptic since it is known to kill both bacteria and fungus. Studies have shown that things like E. Coli are sensitive to clove essence. SO it's a great disinfectant and perfect for many cleaning hacks!
On the other hand, cinnamon essential oil is a well known powerful antibacterial. It inhibits bacteria by damaging their cell membranes, changing them for the better.
As a combo, these two are great at killing all the nasty things in the toilet. You never know what may be lingering in your toilet and these two can kill them dead. Plus they are natural deodorizers and will leave your bathroom smelling amazing—like Christmas 😉
Just remember essential oils are volatile and can evaporate quickly. I used about 1.5ml total for a nice, strong scent as I did in my DIY Christmas Shower Jellies. Be sure to store in an airtight container too. Happy holidays!!