The kitchen is one of the busiest rooms in the house. It is where you prepare meals for the family — and is possibly a homework hangout spot for the kiddos (my son does this all of the time). Because of the many day-to-day tasks performed in the kitchen — it must get regular cleaning to keep it organized and tidy for longer.
We know that maintaining cleanliness in the kitchen is a constant struggle, especially when you have other things to take care of. To help you achieve your dream of having a sparkling clean kitchen — we have highlighted some simple cleaning ideas that can make a big difference in how your kitchen will look like at the end of every day.
Cleaning Ideas #1 Wash the dishes sooner
If you have ever put off washing the dishes for hours or even days — you are not alone. Many people will delay this task and blame it on forgetfulness or laziness. Personally, I blame this on my husband. It is his chore to empty the dishwasher, and mine is to fill it. I can’t fill it if he hasn’t done his part — so things pile up sometimes. Other people just can’t do the task immediately because — let’s face it — life is crazy!
No matter the reason for putting off this task, the reality remains that it has to be done to prevent the spread of germs. A sink brimming with dirty dishes is an unpleasant sight and the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. Yuck!
Dishwashing does not have to be such a painful experience. Here are some cleaning ideas to make the task easier:
- Use a dish rack that can hold a good amount of plates, glasses, and cups.
- Make sure the dishwasher is completely full.
- Get leftover food off the plate as soon as you can to prevent them from hardening on pots, pans, and plates. Hard food residue on plates simply makes the task more challenging. Rinse, rinse, RINSE!
- Use hot water to lift away grease from dirty dishes. Once you get the grime off, the time you need to scrub the dishes is reduced significantly.
- Be smarter in how you deal with stubborn food deposits. Instead of trying to remove them quickly, add a few drops of dishwashing liquid on the plate or pan, and let the burned-on gunk loosen overnight.
- Using a dishwasher is actually better for the environment (less water) and cleans your dishes better than you could do by hand.
Cleaning Ideas #2 Start with a clutter-free kitchen
Before you start to prepare a meal, make sure that it is relatively clean. Starting with a clean slate is simple — tackle dirty dishes to reduce clutter in the sink, wipe counters, and give it a quick sweep.
Send dirt and germs packing with these cleaning ideas — it will save you from having to do a not-so-fun deep clean every week!
Cleaning Ideas #3 Set a timer
It is easy to get distracted even when you are doing just a quick sweep of the kitchen. One simple thing you can do to stay focused on the task and complete it earlier is to set a timer.
Next time you are about to wipe the dirty stovetop or clean out the microwave — set a timer and work within a stipulated time. When you know that you only have to dedicate around 10 minutes for a kitchen task, the chore becomes less overwhelming.
Here are examples of 10-minute kitchen cleaning ideas you can do:
- Sweep the floor (Or use a Dyson Stick Vac like I do)
- Dry the dishes
- Clean the outsides of appliances
- Disinfect surfaces and handles
- Take out the trash
- Wipe cabinet doors
- Clean the backsplash from grease
- Dust the stove hood
Cleaning Ideas #4 Tackle spills right away
This is another simple tip to keep the kitchen tidy. Cleaning food spills and excess liquids ASAP can prevent mold, stains, and other problems. Simply spray the spills with an all-purpose cleaner and wipe them using cellulose dishcloths.
If the spills are from raw meat, fish, or poultry, use a disinfecting spray to clean the area — then follow up by wiping it with paper towels.
For a mom, tasks like these can be hard to keep up with when you have children clinging to your legs — this is why hiring a cleaner to help every now and then is a must.
Check out Groupon in your local area. They should point you in the right direction — at highly affordable prices. Cleaners aren’t nearly as expensive as you might think and can help you focus on what’s important in your life.