There's jackets on dining room chairs. Jackets on living room chairs. Knowing my kids jackets on the floor somewhere. Robes off their hooks. More socks in the wash. Do you know what this means? Winter has crept up on us!
Here in Texas winter has a funny way of sneaking up on us. It can be nice one day and then the next it's cold. There's not just a consistent cold most weeks. It likes to fool you by throwing in nice days with the bad. When the nice days do come along we take advantage and go outside. And then brag (I mean share) about it on Facebook to our lucky friends in Kentucky. Haha.
The up and down temperatures seem to wreak havoc on my skin though. Almost every winter I experience itching as soon as my legs hit the sheets. There's something about my legging being dry and the combination of them with the sheets makes them itch like crazy. So I scratch. Scratch them like crazy. I mean red scratch marks up and down my legs until the itch subsides or I pass out.
Winter can be fun but many people experience dry skin due to dry air and the increased heater usage. Here are some dry skin remedies that may help you not be a crazy scratcher like me.
Dry Skin Remedies
- Moisturize anything that gets wet – I've learn any time my face gets wet it needs to be moisturized otherwise I can literally feel it dehydrating like a grape in the sun. I'm not sure why I haven't applied this same principle to the rest of my body. I guess there's a reason why females in TV shows are always applying moisturizer after showers (besides to get to males).
- Cool down your water – Just think about we use heat to cook things. Heating food dries it out after a while. If you constantly use piping hot water to take a shower or bathe in your skin will dry out too. Drying out happens even more as you age because there's less moisture to begin with. SO cool down and lather up! This is one thing I don't have a problem right now. My water heater can't heat for anything. I'm lucky if I get a luke warm shower. I can't wait till we move!
- Watch what goes on your skin – If your skin is already dry be careful of what you put on it. I learned this the hard way. While wrinkle creams and face scrubs have their time and place they can make an already dry face worse. Irritation isn't fun!
In the midst of winter and my impeding dry skin I tried a new wrinkle cream – Anavita Moisturizing Anti-Wrinkle Cream ($35). It has a lot of benefits but this probably wasn't the best idea in the middle of winter. My dry skin needs straight moisture this time of year not all the extras Anavita Moisturizing Anti-Wrinkle Cream provides.
Anavita Moisturizing Anti-Wrinkle Cream smells great and has a thick creamy texture. I believe due to its thickness you have to really lather it on there, a little doesn't go along way. Or perhaps not with dry skin. Plus side it will not run!
The makers of Anavita Moisturizing Anti-Wrinkle Cream say:
Here Are Some Of The Many Benefits You'll Enjoy
– Proven to stimulate the synthesis of collagen which makes your skin appear years younger & more vibrant
– Firms & tones tissue structure that cause expression lines around the eyes, mouth & forehead
– Multiple uses: anti wrinkle cream, moisturizer, day cream, night cream, makeup base
– Absorbs easily leaving a moisturized, not oily feeling with a light fragrance
– Paraben free, non-irritating cream helps against free radical damage
– Achieves better results than serums & creams with Vitamin C & Retinol
I have had no issues using this wrinkle cream underneath my makeup which is a huge plus for me. I almost always take a shower, apply moisturizer, and then makeup.
My issue with Anavita Moisturizing Anti-Wrinkle Cream is that I can't seem to get enough moisture from it. I think it may be the hyaluronic acid in it or my super dry skin at the moment? I read on Viva Woman that in dry climates hyaluronic acid may actually pull water from the skin instead of the air. This might be the culprit but I would have to wait till it warms up and my skin returns to normal to test that theory. Anavita believes in their product and if you aren't 100% satisfied that will give you your money back!