This article contains affiliate links which means we receive compensation if you purchase a product through them. Visit our disclosure page for more information.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ad #MakeHeartburnHistory #CollectiveBias
Mexican Chicken Pozole Verde
During the holidays we like to eat festive foods that will also keep us warm and toasty during the colder months. We like things that do double duty AND nothing is more festive than Pozole. This stew is either red or green! Perfect for this time of year.
Green Pozole with Chicken (Pozole Verde De Pollo) is a traditional Mexican stew that is typically made with pork and dried hominy. To make things easier many people use chicken and canned hominy which is what I did. I often have to take the easiest route with my hectic schedule.
The one thing about Pozole whether you make the red (Rojo) or green (Verde) versions they both include a lot of spice. The Verde version I made has jalapenos and poblano chilies. Both of these chile peppers can vary in heat level just depending one which one you get. Take each bite with caution. They can surprise you out of know where BUT you WILL be nice and warm! It’s worth it I think.
To help prevent that lovely burning in the chest feeling known as heartburn I plan ahead. Typically, with the holidays you have a pretty good idea of what you’ll be eating at certain functions. If I know I will be eating something spicy in the near future I run to my local Walgreens and buy Nexium® 24HR Capsules 42ct. It totally helps keep that frequent heartburn at bay with just one pill a day.
Nexium® 24HR Capsules may take 1 to 4 days for full effect so be prepared. I know I plan on savoring all those delicious and SPICY holiday foods! Do you?
Don’t let frequent heartburn control your holidays! See what Nexium® 24HR Capsules can do for you.
Green Pozole with Chicken
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 5 chicken breast halves with bone and skin
- 1 lb tomatillos husked; quartered
- 1 onion chopped into large chunks
- 2 poblano chiles cored, seeded, and chopped into large pieces
- 2 jalapenos seeded
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 46.5 oz canned hominy drained
- In a large soup pot, bring chicken broth to a boil. Add chicken, skin side down. Reduced heat to low and simmer, covered for 30-40 or until chicken is cooked. Transfer chicken to a bowl and let cool. Shred by hand into bite size pieces. Reserve chicken broth in the pot.
- In a blender, add 1 cup of reserved chicken broth, spices, cilantro, garlic, onion, tomatillos, poblanos, and jalapenos. Puree the salsa verde until smooth.
- In a deep saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the salsa verde and continue to cook until the color deepens; 12-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Pour the salsa verde into the reserved chicken broth. Add in hominy and shredded chicken. Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a simmer. Serve and enjoy!
Disclosure: Nexium® 24HR Capsules may take 1 to 4 days for full effect. Use as directed.
Krystle Cook – the creator of Home Jobs by MOM – put her psychology degree on a shelf and dived into a pile of diapers and dishes instead. She is a wife and mother to two rambunctious boys, sweating it out in her Texas hometown. She loves cooking, DIY home projects, and family fun activities.