At restaurants, my husband and I have an awful time trying to agree on appetizers. I would love fried mushrooms or a shrimp cocktail but my husband wouldn't dream of eating such things. Pretty much the only appetizers he will eat are mozzarella sticks, tortilla chips, or potato skins. This guy won't even eat buffalo wings. What a drag! Lucky for him I also like these things or we may have a problem. A big problem.
Cheese sticks are an appetizer that usually pleases the whole family even the kids. While I'm the only one that uses the marinara sauce which just means more for me (yay!) the rest of them will down any kind of fried cheese you throw their way. For a while now we've been wanting to make homemade cheese sticks and we finally did it. Boy, it was amazing! There's nothing quite like hot, fresh fried cheese right out of the fryer.
To make our cheese sticks easier for the kids to eat we made them bite size. I thought they looked like tater tots and thus Mozzarella Cheese Tots were born. We can just pop them in our mouths. They are perfect! Their size enables you to eat them faster which is a good and bad thing. Good because I can get to the next one quicker before they get stolen but bad for my waist. At that moment though I couldn't care less!
To serve them we used Mini Tongs By DeLa'Casa. These are are the cutest little tongs I've ever seen. They easily gripped the cheese tots. Heck, I was using them to feed myself but they would be perfect for any kind of party. I could see them in candy dishes at a children's birthday party or with an olive platter at an adult shindig.
They're totally versatile and I know they'd be a great conversation starter as well. Everybody won't be able to resist talking about them. It's great that they can just be tossed in the dishwasher at the end of the night too. Love!
Mozzarella Cheese Tots
- 12 mozzarella string cheese sticks
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/8 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- oil for frying
- Preheat fryer to 350 degrees. Cut each string cheese into bite size pieces. About 6-7 pieces per stick.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and starch. Mix well. In another bowl, combine the breadcrumbs and garlic salt. Mix well. In a third bowl, place the eggs. Beat well.
- Dip each cheese "tot" into the flour mixture, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Coat well. I did several at a time to make it go faster.
- Place cheese tots into frying basket. Lower into oil for about 30 seconds or until they turn a nice golden color. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. We did two batches. Serve with marinara. Enjoy immediately!
What is your favorite appetizer?