Maybe this is the year to go on an adventure or take a business risk. Perhaps you've decided to cook healthier foods or save more money. The beginning of the new year is an opportunity for improvement, from spending more time with the family to elevating your career.
But for many on-the-go busy working moms, simply maintaining the home can be a never-ending task. And without regular tune-ups, you may face laborious and costly repairs down the road.
If you want to make regular home maintenance your New Year's resolution, stay on track with this list, ranging from monthly to annual tasks. Identify tasks to complete every weekend, and your house will be a healthy, happy home for the long-term.
Monthly Home Maintenance
- Inspect HVAC filters and replace if dirty. If you're a smaller family without pets or allergies, replacing filters every 2-3 months may be sufficient.
- Clean the kitchen sink disposal by running vinegar ice cubes through the disposal. Vinegar ice cubes help freshen and sharpen blades. Flushing with hot water and baking soda is another option.
- Degrease your range hood vent filter using auto degreaser and hot water. Rinse the filter in the mixture in the sink for a few minutes to clean the filter.
- Clean out dirt and debris in sink and tub drains with a drain cleaner.
- Ensure that your fire extinguisher is in proper working condition, including adequate pressure, intact locking pin, unbroken tamper seal and no visible signs of wear or tear.
Quarterly Home Maintenance
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Replace batteries if no alarm sounds when you hit the “test” button.
- Check the water heater. Repair any leaks. If you live in an area with hard water, drain 1-2 gallons to reduce calcium buildup. Also, check the pressure relief valve to prevent mineral and corrosion buildup and keep it running efficiently.
- Check the water softener. Add salt if necessary.
- Clean faucets, showerheads, and aerators.
- Inspect weather stripping and caulking around doors and windows. Replace holes and cracks with new material.
- Lubricate hardware to help keep windows and doors in good shape, providing free and easy movement. Rid sliding windows and doors of dirt, dust, and debris.
Semiannually Home Maintenance
- Give the whole house a proper deep clean. Keep your house in optimal shape by eliminating dirt, grime and dust buildup from room corner to room corner.
- Vacuum refrigerator coils. As coils get dirty, the fridge will use more energy to run. Keep it running efficiently and save electricity with well-maintained coils.
- Exercise electrical breakers so all moving parts breakthrough any grease and grime buildup and ensure proper operation. (Without opening for a long period of time, a circuit breaker can have performance issues.)
- Test Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters (GCFI outlets), which detect dangerous current flow and instantly shuts off the power. These electrical devices may damage or wear out.
Annually Home Maintenance
- Winter: Check for ice dams and remove icicles. Heavy icicles can be hazardous to others and damage your home, as well as damage the foundation when melting.
- Spring: Inspect the home exterior for any winter damage. Check drainage and clean out gutters. Make any necessary repairs, such as chipping paint, damaged siding, roofing leaks, holes in bricks or cracks in the foundation.
- Summer: Treat insect infestation with pest control from places like Joshua's Pest Control. Ants, ticks, and termites can be particularly problematic during the summer months. Also, clear cobwebs and make sure after your summer vacation to look for any signs of bed bugs upon your return home.
- Fall: Winterize your home. Hire a pro to inspect your furnace and heating ducts. Trim nearby trees, caulk air leaks, replace the furnace filter, check insulation, wrap pipes and install storm windows and doors to increase energy savings.
What is your best home maintenance tip?
I have my jobs to do the maintain the house for winter and so on. They need to be done to help maintain the home and to not get any unforeseen problems later on.
Home Jobs By Mom
What kind of house maintenance do you do?
Perfect time of the year to take care of a lot of these things before the bad winter sets in. Thanks for doing all the work! Now, all we have is to do the maintenance or write out the Honey Do List. ?
Home Jobs By Mom
Writing out the honey-do list is always a good idea! 🙂 Yeah, I have found it better to check all of these things off the list before the deep cold sets in
David the writer
Oh, dear. I don’t think I do half those things. Sometime in the last decade, I think we looked at our fire extinguishers. Or was it the previous decade?
And if we tried calking the air leaks in our 1882 home, we’d deplete the entire North American supply of calking, and out home would look like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Man.
Home Jobs By Mom
You’re funny David. Theres no time like the present to start
Home Jobs By Mom
Well, you should definitely give those fire extinguishers a once over! Oh dear, I do know that vintage homes like that definitely have their fair share of issues, along with their timeless charm.
Great tips! Would love a printable with everything on it for 2019!
Home Jobs By Mom
Thanks for the great idea! If I get the chance to make the printable I’ll let you know 🙂
I need to print this! I don’t feel I do some of these things.
Home Jobs By Mom
It is actually quite smart to have a list printed off so you can check it off once done. It’s too easy to overlook some of these tasks.
Great tips! There are a few here I already do but there are also some that never even crossed my mind. We’ll need to up our home maintenance game.
Home Jobs By Mom
It is really easy to overlook some of these things, so I get that completely. Feel free to print out this guide to keep on hand.
This is a great list! I need to pin this for when we finally make our home purchase!
Thanks! It will come in handy 🙂
Breaking the task down like this is a great idea because it is easier to keep track of things! I make a similar list every start of the year but looking at your list, it seems I have forgotten to add a couple of things!
Well, add away. I hope it helps you Spencer:)
I think a lot of people forget to maintain their fridge by tending to the coils and other upkeep. I learned that the hard way.
I think so too. I rarely think about the fridge.
Great list of house maintenance tips. I didn’t know the one about draining some water from water heaters if you have hard water. I may need to look into that.
We have hard water here. I’m very thankful for my water softner.
Great post Great blog Great woman…. Thanx for sharing…
Greetings from…. leXHansplaCE
Thank you Lex!
Thanks for sharing the tips. Really helpful. Do you have any tip to clean the hob?
Fatima | http://www.blogsbyfa.com
No, unfortunately not. I’m sorry. You probably could find some good tips online for it.
These are really great tips, and very important.
I live in a snow belt, which means severe winters. I am constantly checking for winter damage, and in the spring I am always working on something to fix it.
thanks for sharing.
I hope your house survives the winter with flying colors this year.
Oooo great tips!!!! Swear my house can never be too clean!!! Love learning new tricks and hacks!
I agree! I wish I had a maid to do it though 😉
I love these tips; all adults need these before getting a house it’s serious business keeping it up
Very true Caroline! A house requires a lot more than an apartment that someone else keeps up.
Some great ideas here. I was happy when I saw the winter annual one and thought Yes! one that doesn’t have to be done! I live in New Zealand so not necessary
Awesome. Very lucky 🙂
This is an ambitious list! I wish I had the motivation that you do to keep up the house! Good luck and happy new year!
We shall see how much we actually get accomplished with our hectic schedules LOL.
Wow, this is a good resolution.
Thank you! What was yours?
I love your list. I will be printing this as I tend to forget to do some of these things.
Thank you so much! I hope it helps your home be more healthy this year 🙂
Thanks so much for these tips. I’ve been looking for a checklist setup like this everywhere, and it looks like I’ve finally found it.
Glad you found it Jennifer. Put it on the fridge 🙂
I have no home maintenance tips! I barely keep it together with three little ones under foot! I used to be really good about keeping everything together, but have definitely slacked off. This year is my year though! This is a great list!
You can do it Heather. It IS your year!!
Replacing HVAC filters is huge! Thanks for the reminder! I just put this on the hubby’s to-do-list.
Glad it helped Debra!
This is a great reminder of tasks I need to stay on top of. It’s amazing how fast cleaning and maintenance gets away from me.
I know what you mean Erica. The list will help!
I have to admit that I’m embarrassed about how few of these things I actually do. However, in line with the image at the top of your post, I do have a dog who does pre-wash in the dishwasher nightly.
Haha. Good dog!!
What a great list! I don’t have a task to add, but I did want to mention that This Old House usually includes 3-4 reminders to check or update around the home in each issue, which really comes in handy.
Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to check it out.
Great list of tips and reminders to check up on all parts of the house to make sure things are working well and smoothly. I’ve never heard of the vinegar ice tip for the sink, thanks for that!
Let me know how you like the vinegar ice if you try it 🙂
what a great checklist. Of course, sometimes we don’t feel like doing these things but it’s necessary and this list helps!
Yes, the list helps. We just have to get motivated too!
Such important tasks. Especially testing detectors and water heaters. A great checklist to keep on hand.
Thanks! I we need to see how our water heater is doing this year.
I’m pretty good about keeping the house clean but I need to be better about the overall home maintenance. This is a great list to get started with!
I hope it helps you Allie 🙂
My husband has a list to check for the house. Now I have to remind him to check the list!! Haaa!!!
That’s a good system 🙂
I feel so much more “together” when I have organised paperwork, spring cleaned and checked appliances.
Vinegar is excellent for cleaning metallic taps -it leaves them sparkling.
I will have to try vinegar on mine. Thanks!
I’m embarrassed to say I don’t have any home maintenance tips. Probably because my husband is on top of it all.
Sounds like you have a great husband 🙂
Ana De- Jesus
I agree New Year New Home. Time to make a fresh start!
Yes, it’s the perfect time!
This is a wonderful list! I love how you broke everything down.
Thank you! I hope it helps you!!
I’m going to print this out and place it on my fridge. Great tips!
That’s a great place for this list!
What a great list! Thanks for putting it together!
No problem Sarah 🙂
I need be so much better about all of these things. I used to be so great about the filters on our AC!
We have one of those filters that last a year. I’m not looking forward to my husband going up in the attic for it. It’s in an awful location right above an open railing. I’m afraid he will fall!
I need to do this. I’ve said it before, but I’m going to actually taken action this time.
It’s a New Year. Perfect time to start!
My husband does it all thank god !! Laci
Good man you got there Laci!
Robin Rue (@massholemommy)
I need to be better about taking better care of my house. I Love that you broke everything down like this.
Thanks! It’s a New Year. You can change habits of last year and start fresh, better this year 🙂