This article contains affiliate links which means we receive compensation if you purchase a product through them. Visit our disclosure page for more information.
A USA road trip will allow you to enjoy everything that this vibrant and exciting nation offers. Road trips offer the ultimate freedom, and traveling by car is the most enjoyable way to navigate America’s diverse landscapes and buzzing cities.
If you’re planning a USA road trip, then here’s everything you need to know to make your trip a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Book a rental car
Renting a car is an extremely popular thing to do for vacations, which means there are many great car rental companies out there. The first thing you need to consider (besides the company) is the type of vehicle you will need for your trip.
For example, if you’re going to be traveling on unsealed roads or plan on off-roading, you will need to rent a 4WD. That way, when you are mucking it up, you will have the appropriate suspension and tires for the job.
Plan what to do
Once you’ve sorted your transport, you need to decide where you want to go and what you want to do. Make a list of top attractions you want to visit on your road trip.
Research unique and exciting things to see and do using various resources:
- Travel websites – Search well know travel websites to read about other people’s experiences and recommendations.
- Blogs – Many travel blogs provide detailed information and guides.
- Social media – sites like Instagram offer inspiration on things to see at your destination by searching for hashtags.
Map out your route
Next, you need to decide on your route. Look at a map and figure out a realistic route.
Make sure you consider how much driving you want to do each day, and allow enough free-days and fun stop-offs along the way. There are several free offline maps and apps that you can use to help you plan your route even when you’re offline.
Starting and finishing your trip in the same city is a great way to save money on your car rental too.
Budget your trip
Once you have arranged your rental car and decided on your route, you can start budgeting your epic road trip!
Here are a few things you should consider when planning your daily budget:
- Gas – Work out your average daily gas consumption and check the gas costs in the areas you will be visiting.
- Toll roads – Check whether your trip will involve traveling on any toll roads as these can cost quite a bit.
- Parking – The parking costs can quickly add up, especially if you’re visiting major cities. Look for accommodations with free parking to help you avoid unexpected parking fees.
- Food costs – You can save money by buying supplies from grocery stores and making your own snacks and lunches. This means you won’t be at the mercy of whatever roadside stops have available!
- Accommodations – Make sure you check different price comparison sites and try to book well in advance to get the best deals.
Where would you like to take a road trip?
Krystle Cook – the creator of Home Jobs by MOM – put her psychology degree on a shelf and dived into a pile of diapers and dishes instead. She is a wife and mother to two rambunctious boys, sweating it out in her Texas hometown. She loves cooking, DIY home projects, and family fun activities.