One of my favorite breakfasts as a child were barbacoa tacos. It tastes amazing but barbacoa is one of those foods that you rather not know what it's made from. Brains? I heard all kinds of stories as a kid that I won't share but nevertheless, I kept on eating it. It's THAT good!
I suggest going to a Mexican meat market if you want the real stuff otherwise you might get some chuck roast substitute. Trust me that's not nearly as good as the real deal. While you're there grab some of their freshly made tortillas like I did. You can't go wrong.
To set up my barbacoa tacos I used Azure Goods Taco Holders. I can't stand when you make tacos and add all of your goodies just to have it all pour out onto your plate when you set them down. It's SO annoying!
This stainless steel rack keeps your tacos upright and all your toppings perfectly in place. I love it! While I don't use any topping with my barbacoa tacos other people like to add cilantro and chopped onion. And if you do, you will love this taco stand! It can even be placed in the oven and dishwasher and can even be used for hot dogs or wraps too.
To compliment my barbacoa tacos I decided to make a Slower Cooker Pinto Bean Soup. Every Monday at Jim's Resturant, they serve pinto bean soup as the soup of the day. It is my grandfathers absolute favorite! To help quash that weekly craving he has I decided to try to make my own version.
It comes pretty close to theirs in taste but is super simple to make. You basically just toss everything into a crock pot and go. It's my kind of cooking!
Slower Cooker Pinto Bean Soup
- 8 ounces dried pinto beans
- 6 slices bacon cut into 1/2 pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 2.5 tsp salt
- 1.5 tbsp tequila
- 1/4 cup cilantro plus extra for garnish
- 6 cups water
- Wash pinto beans and soak overnight with about two inches of cold water covering the beans.
- Drain pinto beans and put into crock pot. Add all remaining ingredients into crock pot and stir. Cook on high for 4-5 hours or until very tender. Add more water if necessary.